Monday, December 1, 2008

Near Death experiences

You may wonder what this topic is about. Just read on.

Nov 15th, 2008
It was one hectic day in many ways. Firstly, I had my first  exam on that day. Power System Analysis. Now I am throwing an open challenge. If anyone could sit through the class for 3 full hours, I will give them 500 bucks from my own pocket(don't have that much at the moment because of economic crisis, but I'm confident that no one would sit through). So, sitting through those classes were considered as "death experiences" by many, and I am no different. Coming to the exam part, the paper was ok, not too tough, not too easy. We were done with the exam and whole of EEE(3rd years) assembled outside the hall and we all decided, it's time to release the stress and what better way of doing it than watching a movie. It was decided that we were going to see the newly released "Vaaranam Aayiram". I am a big fan of Gautham Vasudev Menon and was eager to watch the movie. If not for the exam, I'd have seen it FDFS itself. 

Around 50 of us assembled in the World's best theater "Ganapathiram" at the LB Road. We were shocked to see the theater crowded and plenty of girl fans in the theater, which made us wonder "Wow!!! Is this Ganapathiram??(sivaji Rajni stlye)" ! To add to the comedy, plenty of family audiences who had done "Advance booking" (advance booking in Ganapathiram? Ulagam enga da pordhu?!) . We couldn't get the tickets in the counter, or let me put it this way, we were such lazy bums that we decided to watch it in black. 80 Rs/ticket and we were done buying 60 of them. 80*60=4800, as you'd all know. Now comes the main part. We were asked to enter via the side entrance and the entrance is just 2.5 to 3 feet wide, 6 feet high. There were no seat numbers and so people were all ready to crush their way through first. I was caught in the middle of the crowd. There wasn't an inch to move. The more and more the theater officials delayed our entry, the more the crowd got excited, half of them being CEGians. We started shouting "Deii,, ulla udra ulla udra(no double meaning intended)" . I was almost crushed to death and it was the first time I experienced such chaos in a cinema theater. I couldn't get out of that crowd. There were heavyweights crushing me from all directions. Somehow, I found my way out of the crowd, was a great relief. Uyir thappi vandhen. Another near death experience. Thank goodness there was no stampede. Naan appdiye shock aaitaen.

We stormed into the theater and the movie started. There were comments thrown every 2 minutes. Most of them were mocks. I was watching silently, while most of them were restless. People started shouting "mokka mokka mokka" just 30 minutes into the movie. One of them reached the saturation point and shouted "Which is better? Sakkarakatti or Vaaranam Aayiram??"!! One shouted "Appanaaya ivan? Uruptamaadrithaan"!! There were all sorts of comments. People got so fed up and started chanting inside the theater "we want song, we want song, we want song" (Lollu sabha Bakery stile). As soon as the first half got over, huge applause in the theater, now hold on, they were for the wrong reasons though, people ran out of the theater. 

Second half was no better either. More comments, more sighs. People were wondering when the movie would get over. Just 5 minutes before the end, I saw people literally running out of the theater. I could make out from people's faces that most of them didn't like the movie. One of my classmates admitted "Machaan, intha padam 3 PSA periodukku samam da". That pretty much sums it up. A near death experience for most of them. But I liked the movie although it was very slow and a bit mokkaish in many places. I went home satisfied. Went to Prakash's place and watched Man United thumping Stoke City 5-0 and the day was complete. A day to remember. 

7 comments:

Pinko said...

dei wtf not too easy , not too tough ???!!
It was freaking tough !
And the movie was pretty good too !

Sudarshan said...

It was an ok paper. But that's not the subject of discussion. :D

ViX said...

Around 50 of us assembled in the World's best theater.....

80 Rs/ticket and we were done buying 60 of them. 80*60=4800, as you'd all know.....


:D

Sudarshan said...

60+ because there were people from the other departments too, who joined in at the last minute.

MaySan said...

I liked the movie quite a lot. But it doesnt cater to the masses :)

Anything electrical is tough man :P

Sudarshan said...

I know sis. But not for your big brother maybe. :D

мคиσ said...

i don't think the movie was that much worst...
But wathcing in Ganapathiram is damn hell... :D