Sunday, December 21, 2008

The Green Mile

Very recently, I saw this movie "The Green Mile"(http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120689/) featuring Tom Hanks in the lead role. This movie got me very emotionally disturbed. I cried buckets all through the movie and it is one of the best movies I've ever seen. I don't remember the last time I cried profusely for  a movie barring a few Kamal Hasan movies. This movie has got a very strong message, and lays emphasis on the belief that "Miracles do happen". The character of John Coffey will remain etched in my memory till I die or even after my death, such was his influence. 

Now I don't know where to begin. Everything in the movie, almost everything made me cry. Right from the tiny mouse to the gigantic 7 foot tall, innocent John Coffey(played by Michael Clarke Duncan) . There were many tear-jerking scenes in the movie. The mouse-stamping scene, the expressions of Delacroix post-stamping, the electrocution of Delacroix, the pre-electrocution scenes of John Coffey, the last meal ordering scene of John Coffey and I can go on and on and on. It is a 3 hour long movie and not once did I check my watch during the course of the movie. For those of you who think movies are for time-pass and have no values whatsoever, I strongly recommend this movie. 

I still wonder how this movie missed out on all awards that went to a movie called "American Beauty" of which I have no idea. Quoting Tom Hanks:

"We each owe a death, there are no exceptions, I know that, but sometimes, oh God, the green mile is so long"


 

1 comment:

ranjani rajagopal said...

tho i've missed out on the last half an hour..movie was brilliant!!
john coffey..like the drink.. only not spelt the same!!:)